The Valuation Analyst will be assigned a portfolio of loans and collateral and will be expected to prepare market, risk and valuation analyses based upon different client’s requirements.
What it takes to be successful in this role
- Analyze loan and real estate collateral data including loan documents, third-party reports and current market data and prepare written reports that include current valuations and related discussions.
- Assist in the preparation of collateral valuations and reporting assignments, with responsibility for completing such assignments being increased over tenure in the position.
- Perform local and National real estate market analyses on a wide range of public and private entities using all accepted and relevant valuation approaches.
- Independently gather data pertinent to an engagement through direct client interaction, including personal and telephone interviews with market participants including brokers, appraisers, investors, real estate developers and asset managers.
- Collect, organize, analyze, and report market data through internal and external data sources, and understand research related databases and software programs.
- Closely monitor the local and regional commercial real estate markets and reporting on any pertinent news or trends.
- Conduct property-level due diligence and/or inspect properties as part of the valuation process.
- Estimate the market value of collateral/security for real estate loans in accordance with internal policies/procedures, industry standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Interview real estate market participants for rent surveys, sales verifications, and subject property analysis.
- Review industry surveys and benchmarks, economic and demographic trends.
- Comprehend, analyze, and interpret financial information and reports and accurately explain/report activity in verbal and written communications.
- Participate in periodic conference calls with various clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimal domestic travel required (10-20%)
Due to the nature of the responsibilities, this role allows for some remote work, but is primarily required to be onsite within a designated Berkadia office (3+ days/week).
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, or Real Estate related area preferred; minimum 3 years of experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Course work or commensurate experience with fundamentals of real estate finance, basic appraisal principals, market analysis or accounting.
- Minimum one year of recent commercial real estate experience with fundamental knowledge of financial terms and principles. Ability to conduct basic financial analysis and calculate intermediate figures such as percentages, discounts, and/or commissions. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to effectively present information. Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret documents. Ability to solve problems involving several options in situations. Intermediate analytic and quantitative skills preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite products including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, etc. Knowledge of ARGUS preferred.
- Ability to independently travel to property inspections and/or conduct market research.
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Jefferies Financial Group, is a leader in the commercial real estate industry, offering a robust suite of services to our multifamily and commercial property clients. Powered by deep relationships and industry-changing technology, our people sell, finance, and service commercial real estate, providing support for the entire life cycle of our clients’ assets. Our unique ownership structure allows us to put the client’s interests first and creates a marketplace that delivers a superior experience.
Berkadia complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants. Applicants who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process should contact Emma.Petersen@berkadia.com to arrange for such accommodations.
Berkadia is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local laws concerning discrimination in employment. No question in this Application is intended to elicit information in violation of any such law, nor will any information obtained in response to any question be used in violation of any such law.