The Portfolio Analyst will work in Berkadia’s Servicing group as a liaison between borrowers, other servicing staff, third-party lenders, Mortgage Banking personnel, trustees, investors, government agencies, rating agencies, general contractors, architects, title companies, inspectors and lender consultants, if applicable. For an assigned portfolio of loans, primarily secured by non-stabilized properties, structured transactions, balance sheet and/or complex loans. The Portfolio Analyst will be the primary point of contact for both borrowers and the lender.
- Respond to all borrowers’ inquiries/requests on the assigned portfolio of loans
- Resolve/investigate payment issues and suspense payments.
- Where appropriate, work with the Cash Managed Loans Group in the administration of hard lockbox waterfall processing.
- Return monthly excess funds from lockbox, sweep and ground lease payments including rent/mortgage overages in a timely manner.
- Initiate a collection call requesting/follow-up of delinquent financial statements.
- Follow-up on deferred maintenance items.
- Review loan documents and financial statements and monitor all trigger events to ensure borrower compliance with loan requirements and timeliness in meeting milestones of the underwritten business plan.
- Prepare quarterly asset summaries/surveillance reporting and or other required deliverables for use by the lender as needed.
- Review future funding draw requisitions and prepare recommendation package for lender which may include review of contracts, change orders, invoices, payment evidence, title, financial/leasing updates, and construction budget balancing.
- Provide detailed referral requests to other servicing departments, pursuant to applicable loan document and investor requirements on transactions requiring lender consent such as easements, partial releases, casualty losses and condemnations.
- Consult with manager and other personnel within Berkadia, as necessary, and follow-up with borrower to ensure completion of requests and inquiries.
- Manage and/or escalate complex issues that may require decision-making at a higher level within Berkadia or may require the consent of outside parties.
- Monitor portfolio specific reports and adhere to established Berkadia policies and procedures for processing open items or issues.
- Confront and seek to resolve problem situations in conjunction with assessment of loan document requirements and investor guidelines.
- Develop personal technical skills by completing appropriate training courses and satisfying the annual required training hour minimum.
- Respond to all phone calls and emails within 24 hours of receipt.
- Work with all applicable functional business units to ensure compliance with loan document requirements and the tracking of borrower requests on all servicing systems, to resolve problems and facilitate communication among borrower and lender
- Other duties as assigned.
What you will need to be successful
- A high level of competence in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel, and ability to work with other software including mortgage industry specific applications such as McCracken Strategy, intranet-based workflows, etc.
- Strong customer service focus within the context of a risk management/asset management role.
- Excellence in communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly both verbally and in writing with all levels of an organization both internal and external.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze property operating statements and rent rolls for the purpose of evaluating asset performance relative to underwritten metrics.
- Ability to manage expectations, including those of stakeholders with conflicting priorities or objectives.
- A can-do, proactive attitude and ability to work autonomously with confidence while escalating issues when appropriate, as well as with team members on shared responsibilities.
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Jefferies Financial Group, is a leader in the commercial real estate industry, offering a robust suite of services to our multifamily and commercial property clients. Powered by deep relationships and industry-changing technology, our people sell, finance, and service commercial real estate, providing support for the entire life cycle of our clients’ assets. Our unique ownership structure allows us to put the client’s interests first and creates a marketplace that delivers a superior experience.
Berkadia complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants. Applicants who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process should contact Emma.Petersen@berkadia.com to arrange for such accommodations.
Berkadia is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local laws concerning discrimination in employment. No question in this Application is intended to elicit information in violation of any such law, nor will any information obtained in response to any question be used in violation of any such law.