The Assistant Vice President – Portfolio Analyst will work with Berkadia’s Servicing group as a liaison between borrowers, other servicing staff, Berkadia Mortgage Banking personnel, third-party lenders, trustees, investors, government agencies, rating agencies, general contractors, architects, title companies, inspectors, and lender consultants, if applicable. For an assigned portfolio of loans, primarily secured by non-stabilized properties, structured transactions, balance sheet and/or complex loans, the Assistant Vice President-Portfolio Analyst will be the primary point of contact for both borrowers and the lender.
- Act as the single point of contact for borrowers and lenders, responsible for administering and monitoring a portfolio of commercial mortgage loans while taking a key role in Berkadia’s servicing relationship with those parties.
- Assist in servicing loans in the assigned portfolio in accordance with all applicable loan documents, inter-creditor, participation, and servicing agreements, ensuring compliance and timely processing of all loan matters and requests from borrowers or lenders/investors, while monitoring the asset’s performance.
- Maintain a full working knowledge of the loan documents, all applicable lender agreements and servicing contracts in order to administer the loans and ensure compliance by the Company as a servicer.
- Assist in monitoring, processing and preparing/underwriting recommendations for approval by Berkadia managers and/or external lenders with regard to borrower requests relating to the loan and/or property, which may involve working with internal/external counsel, rating agencies, trustees, and other servicers.
- Review on a daily basis the loan portfolio to administer any items needing to be addressed on the servicing system including identifying the status of payments and making collection calls as needed, researching un-identified funds, work with the Cash Managed Loans Group in the administration of hard lockbox waterfall processing, noting the status of borrower compliance with loan document requirements, reviewing and resolving any non-compliance or defaults and notifying the borrower along with all other required parties.
- Work with functional business units (Tax, Insurance, Reserves, Escrow Analysis, etc.) to process borrower requests and administer loan requirements including the processing of reserve draws, payment of property taxes, maintenance of required insurance, and matters pertaining to interest rates/calculations, cash management/lockbox accounts, escrow analysis, and loan payoffs.
- Assist with collection of property operating statements, rent rolls, STR reports, borrower/guarantor financial statements.
- Review and analyze financial covenants, trigger events, and DSCR tests.
- Monitor property performance which may include an analysis of borrower’s business plan and current market conditions.
- Prepare quarterly asset summaries/surveillance reporting and or other required deliverables for use by the lender as needed.
- Review future funding draw requisitions and prepare recommendation package for lender which may include review of contracts, change orders, invoices, payment evidence, title, financial/leasing updates, and construction budget balancing.
- Provide detailed referral requests to other servicing departments, pursuant to applicable loan document and investor requirements on transactions requiring lender consent such as easements, partial releases, casualty losses and condemnations.
- Consult with manager and other personnel within Berkadia, as necessary, and follow-up with borrower to ensure completion of requests and inquiries.
- Manage and/or escalate complex issues that may require decision-making at a higher level within Berkadia or may require the consent of outside parties.
- Approve eforms in accordance with established approval rights in Berkadia’s Banking and Cash Activities Approval Limits
- Recommend defaulted loans for transfer to the special servicer.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you will need to be successful
- Adherence to Berkadia’s policies and exhibit proficiency and understanding of Berkadia’s Values and position-specific skills.
- A high level of competence in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel, and ability to work with other software including mortgage industry specific applications such as McCracken Strategy, intranet-based workflows, etc.
- Strong customer service focus within the context of a risk management/asset management role.
- Excellence in communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly both verbally and in writing with all levels of an organization both internal and external.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze property operating statements and rent rolls for the purpose of evaluating asset performance relative to loan requirements or underwritten metrics.
- Ability to manage expectations, including those of stakeholders with conflicting priorities or objectives.
- A can-do, proactive attitude and ability to work autonomously with confidence while escalating issues when appropriate, as well as with team members on shared responsibilities.
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Jefferies Financial Group, is a leader in the commercial real estate industry, offering a robust suite of services to our multifamily and commercial property clients. Powered by deep relationships and industry-changing technology, our people sell, finance, and service commercial real estate, providing support for the entire life cycle of our clients’ assets. Our unique ownership structure allows us to put the client’s interests first and creates a marketplace that delivers a superior experience.
Berkadia complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants. Applicants who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process should contact Emma.Petersen@berkadia.com to arrange for such accommodations.
Berkadia is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local laws concerning discrimination in employment. No question in this Application is intended to elicit information in violation of any such law, nor will any information obtained in response to any question be used in violation of any such law.